Healthy Detroit PAL
One of the primary goals of Detroit PAL sports leagues is to help kids to make good choices and lead healthy and active lifestyles. The path to achieving this goal relies not only on the investment of Detroit PAL coaches and players, but also of parents and families who have the tools and knowledge to bring home messages about health, nutrition, and physical activity. Read on to find out how Detroit PAL is strengthening its commitment to health and wellness and providing a variety of new resources and learning opportunities for kids and families. For monthly updates, please sign up for our monthly Healthy Detroit PAL newsletter here.
What’s new with Detroit PAL?
• Detroit PAL at Home Monthly handouts for parents cover a variety of topics related to health and nutrition, such as “Shopping Smart: Healthy Meals on a Budget,” and dietary recommendations for health conditions like diabetes and hypertension.
• Detroit PAL for Coaches - Handouts for coaches are designed to improve athlete performance through nutrition and incorporate health and nutrition messages into practice, games, and events.
• Coach Trainings - Coach trainings will equip coaches with both important health and nutrition information for their athletes and the tools to apply and communicate this information.
• Outreach and Education at PAL Events - PAL Events will now feature more opportunities for families to engage around health and nutrition through educational events like cooking demonstrations and taste testing.
• Online Resources - The Detroit PAL website will feature additional information for kids and families, including downloadable versions of PAL at Home handouts and other community resources.
• High Quality Meal Service - As always, Detroit PAL maintains its commitment to providing healthy, high quality meals for teams that participate in the Meet Up and Eat Up summer and after-school meal programs.
How can I get involved with Healthy Detroit PAL?
As these new initiatives take shape within select Fall 2015 Detroit PAL leagues, Detroit PAL invites parents, coaches, and community members to provide their suggestions and feedback on Healthy Detroit PAL initiatives and materials. Share your thoughts with Detroit PAL at firstname.lastname@example.org.